Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the answer to your question using these FAQs, please contact your local Health and Welfare office.

How will I receive my Food Stamps?
If you are approved for Food Stamps, you will receive an Idaho Quest EBT Card (typically called the Quest card) with your allotment amount. You will receive information about your card and how to use it.

When will my Food Stamps be available on my Quest EBT card?
If you have just been approved for Food Stamps, your benefits should be in your Quest card account within 30 days; however, we strive to get your benefits to you much quicker. If you were approved for expedited Food Stamps, you benefits should be in your account within 7 days. SNAP cardholders will receive their benefits according to their assigned issuance date, which is based on the last digit of the cardholder's birth year. To learn more about what day SNAP benefits will be posted to your EBT card click here. 

Once you are approved and have received your first Food Stamp allotment, Food Stamps will be made available to you on a monthly basis for as long as you remain eligible for the Food Stamp program.

How can I check my Quest EBT account?
Grab your Quest card number and PIN and access your account online at

How can I get a new Quest EBT card if I lose mine?
If you lose your card, please contact 1.888.432.4328 to order a replacement.  Your local Health and Welfare office will no longer issue replacement cards. 

What can I buy with my Food Stamps?
You can buy certain foods such as: breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, meats, fish, and poultry; and dairy products. You may also buy seeds and plants that produce food for you and your household to eat.

Food Stamps may not be used to buy items such as: beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco. Nonfood items also are unacceptable, such as: pet foods, soaps, paper products, and household supplies. Additionally, Food Stamps may not be used to purchase vitamins and medicines, any food that will be eaten in the store, and hot foods. However, in some areas, restaurants may be authorized to accept Food Stamps from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.

Do I have to use my Food Stamps within a certain period of time?
Yes. If you receive Food Stamps and do not use them for 365 days, we will cancel any benefits remaining left in your Quest card account.

Is there a time limit to how long I can receive Food Stamps?
No, there is no time limit to how long you can receive Food Stamps. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements for the program, you may receive food assistance benefits.

The two-year time limits that apply to other cash-assistance program do not apply to the Food Stamp program.

What can I do if I disagree with the decision about my application?
You may request what is called a fair hearing process. You may request a hearing within 90 days of the date indicated on the written notice you received that explains the Department's decision about your application. Throughout this process, you may represent yourself, or have an attorney, relative, or friend represent you at your hearing.

To request a fair hearing, let the worker know who helped process your application or sent the notice to you. 

What is Program Evaluation, and do I have to cooperate?
Program Evaluation is a quality control process setup by the Federal government to gauge how well Idaho is managing the Food Stamp program. Each month, cases are randomly selected for review. If your case is selected, a reviewer will look over your case and make an appointment to see you. During this interview, the reviewer will ask about your living situation and request copies of verifications.

If you receive Food Stamps, you are expected to cooperate with the State or Federal reviewers who conduct the program evaluation. Failure to cooperate could result in a penalty or loss of your Food Stamps.

Who can I contact if I can't find an answer?
If you have questions about the Food Stamp that are not answered here or elsewhere on our web site, you may call your local Health & Welfare office.


Got feedback about our website? Help us make it better by completing a survey. It'll only take a couple of minutes.