The Bureau of Rural Health & Primary Care administers this federally funded grant program to provide assistance to qualifying hospitals with 49 beds or fewer. SHIP funds support activities related to quality improvement and investments towards meaningful use of health information technology.
- Value Based Purchasing (improving data collection activities in order to facilitate reporting to Hospital Compare)
- Accountable Care Organizations or shared savings (improving quality outcomes; activities that support quality improvement)
- Payment Bundling (building accountability across the continuum of care)
- Prospective Payment Systems (maintaining accurate PPS billing and coding)
- Care transitions (strategies focused on efficiency and care coordination to prevent readmissions)
SHIP eligible facilities must submit applications to the Bureau of Rural Health & Primary Care and meet all eligibility requirements defined by the federal grant guidance.