SLRP is a multi-discipline, state-based loan repayment program for nurses, clinicians, and physicians working in federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Areas. Loan repayment is provided through a federal grant, every award must be matched $1 to $1 with funds provided by the practitioner’s employer. Participating sites must implement a sliding fee scale for low income and uninsured patients and accept Medicare and Medicaid. Loan repayment awards may range from $5,000-$25,000 per year for two years. A two-year service obligation is required and sites must submit biannual reports during the funding period. Participants currently receiving loan repayment and fulfilling a service obligation are not eligible.
Practitioners receiving loan repayment must:
- Ensure individuals at or below 200% of the most recent HHS Poverty Guidelines will receive a schedule of discounts, and individuals with income at or below 100% of the HHS Poverty Guidelines will receive services at a nominal fee or at no charge;
- Be employed or contracted by a nonprofit or public entity located in a Health Professional Shortage Area;
- Accept Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program;
- Commit to working two-years at the practice location in exchange for loan repayment and agree to substantial repayment penalties if the term of service is not completed;
- Not have concurrent service obligations;
- Agree to participate in a site visit with staff from the Bureau of Rural Health & Primary Care during the obligation period.
For SLRP FAQ please Click Here
SLRP Site Application
SLRP Practitioner Application