With the implementation of the new Children’s System Redesign, families will have an option to access services through a family-directed services model. Family-direction offers parents of children with developmental disabilities more choice and flexibility to purchase and define the services and supports their child needs.
Advantages of Family-Directed Services
By choosing family-directed services, families can:
• Hire people they know and decide the qualifications they want to require
• Decide how much to pay for services and supports
• Supervise and direct their child’s support workers
• Decide when and where their child will receive services and supports
• Manage their child’s individual budget
Responsibilities with Family-Directed Services
When families choose to family direct, they must:
• Agree to the principles of self-direction
• Be part of a family-centered planning meeting and help write their child’s plan
• Review timesheets and invoices to ensure services are delivered according to the plan
• Write, sign and follow employee agreements
• Work with a Fiscal Employer Agent to help keep track of their child’s budget
How to Sign Up
The Children's Redesign rules were approved by the Idaho Legislature in early February 2011. Transition to the new benefits will be a gradual process.
Beginning July 1, 2011, children will be phased into the new system according to their birth dates. At that time, families will be given the option to access services through the traditional model or the family-directed services model.
If you would like more information on family-directed services or on how your family can “opt in early” please, contact your local FACS Case Coordinator. Regional contact information can be found under the Resource section of this web site.To find out more about the implementation of the Children's System Redesign, please visit our Redesign Web site
Many new Support Brokers have been trained and qualified to work under the consumer-directed community supports option. You can view a list of available Support Brokers
Trainings for families are continuing across the state, for information on the next training in your area please contact your local FACS Case Coordinator. Regional contact information can be found under the Resource section of this website.
Individuals on our direct email list will receive notification when the Family-Directed Services website or the Children's Redesign website is updated. If you would like to be put on our direct email list, please send your email address to: Redesign@dhw.idaho.gov