Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

Public Records Request

I want to:

Request client-specific information about myself or someone else:

All public records request must be in writing.  Requests for client-specific information must be completed on a Records Request form.  A notarized signature is required if the Department is unable to verify signature already on file.  When making your request please be very specific as to which program information you are needing, include dates, locations, or names of reports if they apply to your request.  If you are making a request regarding a family member or client you must include a document that provides written proof of your authority to receive that person's information, unless already on file.

Records Request Form - English
Records Request Form - Spanish

Your request can be submitted using one of the following methods: 

Fax it to: 208-639-5742 Attention APS

Email it to:

Bring it to: any Idaho Department of Health and Welfare office

Mail it to
:  Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
                Administrative Procedures Section
                P.O. Box 83720
                450 W. State Street, 10th floor
                Boise, ID 83720-0036

Request copies other than client-specific information (such as surveys of assisted living facilities, percentage of residents receiving Medicaid or copies of contracts):

Fill out the Online Public Records Request Form.

Request copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates:

Please visit our Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics page.

Request information about my child support case:

Please contact Child Support Services:
Call: 800-356-9868 (or 334-2479 in the Boise area)
Mail (your child support payments) to:
            Idaho Child Support Receipting Services
            P.O. Box 70008
            Boise, ID 83707-0108

What are Idaho’s Laws governing the accessibility of public records?
The Idaho Public Records Law Manual by the Idaho Legislature states that “all records maintained by state and local government entities be available for public access and copying.” At the same time, the Legislature recognizes the need to balance the policy of openness against the equally important need for privacy of certain information provided by citizens and businesses that is necessary for the government's business. This balance is contained in Idaho Code §§74-101 to 74-126, which states that "all public records in Idaho are open at all reasonable times for inspection except as otherwise expressly provided by statute."

How long will it take for my request to be answered?
Three (3) working days from the time APS receives the request.
If the request cannot be filled within three (3) working days, APS will extend it to ten (10) working days from date of receipt. The requester will be notified if this is the case.

Is there a cost?
Yes.  Requests that require more than two hours of labor or more than 100 pages require pre-payment of agency costs before the request is completed.  Costs are based on the type of work involved.  For example, if a request involves copying more than 100 pages, there is a cost of 10 cents per page after the first 100. If requests require more than two hours of labor, there is a cost after the first two hours. 

If you have questions about Public Records, call 208-334-5564.