Public Records Requests

Members of the public may request to obtain public information that the department does not provide as part of normal business services. 

Request client-specific information about myself or someone else

All public records requests must be in writing. Requests for client-specific information must be completed on a Records Request form. A notarized signature is required if the department is unable to verify signature already on file. When making your request please be very specific as to which program information you are needing, include dates, locations, or names of reports if they apply to your request. If you are making a request regarding a family member or client you must include a document that provides written proof of your authority to receive that person's information, unless already on file.

Your request may be submitted using one of the following methods:

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare - Administrative Procedures Section
P.O. Box 83720 
450 W. State Street, 10th Floor
Boise, ID 83720-0036




Records Request form
English and Spanish versions available.
Questions about Public Records?
Call 208-334-5564 to speak with someone about a public record request.
Request copies other than client-specific information

Requests for records such as copies of contracts may be completed by filling out the Online Public Records Request Form.

Tips for media submitting public records requests

Request copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates
Request information about my child support case

Requests for information about your child support case may be made directly to Child Support Services, using the following contact information.

Child Support Services

Idaho Child Support Receipting Services
P.O. Box 70008
Boise, ID 83707-0108
United States

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Idaho’s Laws governing the accessibility of public records?

The Idaho Public Records Law Manual by the Idaho Legislature states that “all records maintained by state and local government entities be available for public access and copying.” At the same time, the Legislature recognizes the need to balance the policy of openness against the equally important need for privacy of certain information provided by citizens and businesses that is necessary for the government's business. This balance is contained in Idaho Code §§74-101 to 74-126, which states that "all public records in Idaho are open at all reasonable times for inspection except as otherwise expressly provided by statute."

How long will it take for my request to be answered?

Three (3) working days from the time the Administrative Procedures Section (APS) receives the request.

If the request cannot be filled within three (3) working days, APS will extend it to ten (10) working days from date of receipt. The requester will be notified if this is the case.

Is there a cost?

Yes.  Requests that require more than two hours of labor or more than 100 pages require pre-payment of agency costs before the request is completed.  Costs are based on the type of work involved.  For example, if a request involves copying more than 100 pages, there is a cost of 10 cents per page after the first 100. If requests require more than two hours of labor, there is a cost after the first two hours.