About Marriage and Divorce Records

The department issues certified copies of marriage and divorce certificates for events that occurred in Idaho.


For a marriage certificate, the officiant will give you an original copy of the license/marriage certificate, and file another original copy with the county. You must order and pay for a certified copy of a filed certificate.

A divorce certificate is a document that shows that a divorce occurred but does not state all the same information as a divorce decree, which is an official document from the court that grants the termination of a marriage. 

The department issues certified copies of marriage and divorce certificates filed from May 1947 to the present. If you need a copy of a divorce decree, contact the county where the divorce was granted. In Idaho, marriage and divorce certificates are legally confidential for 50 years.

Information regarding obtaining records for events occurring in other states may be found at the National Center for Health Statistics

Planning to be married in a foreign country?

If you are planning to be married in a foreign country, you may be instructed to obtain a letter from the Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics stating that your current marital status is single. Some agencies refer to this document as a Certificate of Non-Impediment or a Single Status Letter. Use the Single Status Application to request a search of marriages and divorces that have been filed with the state of Idaho since May 1947.

Who can officiate a marriage in Idaho?

Idaho law determines who can officiate (solemnize) a marriage in the state of Idaho under Idaho code 32-303.  The information provided in the document link below is provided on our website as a courtesy.  We cannot give legal advice or additional guidance regarding choosing a marriage officiant.

Who can Officiate FAQ