The Putative Father, Voluntary Adoption, and Abandoned Child registries help people find others and stay connected.

Putative Father Registry: establishing paternity

To claim rights of paternity, the father of a child born out of wedlock must begin to establish paternity and file notice of his commencement of proceedings to establish his paternity with:

Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics,
Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho, 83720-0036  

The Idaho legislature passed a law (Section 16-1513, Idaho Code) to enable fathers of children born out of wedlock to declare their paternal rights and intent to support the child. Registration should be done at anytime before the birth of the child or at least before the date of any proceeding where the child is placed with an agency licensed to provide adoption services. If fathers in these circumstances do not register and the child is adopted, all paternal rights will be lost.

Putative Father Registry Form

How to Add Your Name to the Putative Father Registry

How to Request a Search of the Putative Father Registry

Abandoned Child Registry: claim of parental rights

To claim parental rights of an abandoned child a parent must file a notice of claim of parental rights with the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, P.O. Box 83720, Boise, Idaho, 83720-0036. The Idaho Legislature passed a law (Section 39-8206, Idaho Code) for a parent of an abandoned child to declare their parental rights and intent to support the child to the best of their ability. Registration should be done before an order terminating parent’s rights is entered by the court. If a parent fails to register a claim of parental rights, they have waived and surrendered any right in relation to the child.

Abandoned Child Registry Form

How to Request a Search of the Abandoned Child Registry

Voluntary Adoption Registry

The Idaho Voluntary Adoption Registry is a confidential file of people who are or were the parties in an adoption. Filing with the registry indicates a person wants to make their identity known to other parties involved in the adoption. The registry will match individuals who have authorized release of information to one another and disclose the information accordingly.

Voluntary Adoption Registry Form

I'm adopted-How do I get my original birth certificate?

Find others and stay connected