About the Certified Nurse Assistant Registry

This registry contains information on whether an individual has a current CNA certificate. Employers are required to verify currency of a CNA's certificate at the time of employment and upon renewal. 

The CNA forms found on this page require Adobe Acrobat Reader© version 5.0, or newer, to open. Adobe Reader© is available as a free download. These forms may be completed online once downloaded but must then be printed and mailed or faxed to the Idaho CNA Registry section. The forms may also be printed and completed manually, but they must still be returned either by e-mail, mail or fax to the Idaho CNA Registry.

Changes to use of CNA verification activities:

  • Social Security numbers are masked upon entry for search
  • Date of birth is now required when requesting a search by Social Security number
  • Captcha is now required
Hours of Operation
The Idaho CNA Registry operates Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Idaho CNA Registry is closed on all state and national holidays.

You can contact the registry at IDNAP@dhw.idaho.gov.

Online resources for Idaho Nurse Aide

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I change my name, address or request a duplicate certificate?

Please complete the form below. There is a $15 processing fee for these actions.

Change Request Form

Why is my new expiration date in a different month, or a year earlier, than the previous date?

CNAs on the registry in Idaho are given 24 months from the date of their last day worked. Federal regulation says that to qualify for remaining on the registry the candidate must have performed eight hours of nursing or nursing-related services during a 24-consecutive month period.  If, for example, the individual successfully completed their examinations and were placed on the registry in June 2018, their expiration on their certificate states it would lapse, or expire, June 30, 2020. If the individual’s last day worked was in June 2019, their renewal would be good until June 30, 2021, not June 30, 2022.

What is the scope of practice of a CNA in Idaho?

Certified nurse aides are not licensed in Idaho. Therefore, there are no rules governing the scope of practice for CNAs. CNAs are referred to as unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) in the Board of Nursing administrative rules. CNAs typically work under the direction of a licensed nurse. The Idaho Board of Nursing has rules concerning a licensed nurse delegating nursing functions to the UAP. To view the specific portion of the Board of Nursing rules dealing with UAP, please see pages 40 and 41, IDAPA at IDAPA

Do you charge a fee to renew certifications?

No, at this time there are no fees to process any forms or certifications with the Idaho Certified Nurse Aide Registry.

Where do I find a school that teaches the CNA training course?

You may contact one of the schools nearest your location and they will be able to provide you with information regarding cost, schedules, and locations. 

•  College of Western Idaho, Nampa, Idaho – 1-208-562-3000

•  College of Southern Idaho, Twin Falls, Idaho – 1-208-732-6701

•  College of Eastern Idaho, Workforce Training & Continuing Education, Idaho Falls, Idaho – 1-208-535-5345

•  Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho – 1-208-282-3372

•  Lewis-Clark State College, Lewiston, Idaho – 1-208-792-2388

•  North Idaho College, Workforce Training Center, Post Falls, Idaho – 1-208-769-3333

I am a nursing student, may I challenge the CNA course and just take the test?

Yes. Idaho CNA Registry policy states that criteria for challenging the CNA test includes "Successful completion of one (1) semester of an accredited nursing school program as evidenced by a transcript of required nursing courses (not pre-requisites)." 

The transcript must verify that the applicant has successfully completed a basic nursing course, such as Nursing 101. Courses such as English, nutrition, human anatomy and physiology, etc, will not meet the criteria to challenge the CNA exam. 

You must provide a copy of your first semester transcripts in a letter to our office requesting approval to test. An “approval to test” letter will then be issued upon successful review of your request allowing you to take the Skills and Written test.

How long is the CNA course?

It is 120 hours. This includes 80 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical instruction.

How do I transfer to Idaho from another state?

You may contact the Idaho Nurse Aide Registry to obtain a transfer/reciprocity form or simply print one out as it is found at the top right of this page, under Forms. Fill out the top portion of the form and then send it to the state you are transferring from; so they can verify your status on their registry. They will then forward this form to the Idaho Nurse Aide Registry. There is no fee for this transaction. Please note that in transferring to Idaho from another state you are not giving up your current certification in your home state; you are simply adding Idaho as a state where you are certified.  If you are not current in your home state and cannot renew your certification but are in good standing, you can obtain an "approval to test" letter allowing you to take both the skills and written tests to be placed on the registry here in Idaho. 

I am a paramedic, EMT, former military medic or medical assistant: May I simply take the Skills and Written test to obtain my Certified Nurse Aide Certificate?

No; these training courses do not meet the Omnibus Reconciliation Act (OBRA) criteria in Idaho for what must be covered in a CNA class. OBRA, passed by Congress in 1987, outlines the standards and requirements for trained Nurse Aides.

I have lost my CNA card, can I get another one?

Yes. You will need to contact the Nurse Aide Registry and if you are current and in good standing we will issue you a replacement.

There is a $15 fee for this service. We recommend that you keep your card in a secure, accessible location, as many employers require proof that you are indeed current and in good standing before hiring you.

CNA Change Request Form

How do I obtain a transfer out to another state?

You will need to contact the Nurse Aide Registry of the state you wish to transfer to and they will assist you with their transfer process.

Some states do require a fee for transferring and there are different prerequisites in each state required for completing the transfer process.

What are some of the more common questions phoned into the CNA Registry desk?

The following are some of the more frequent phoned in questions:

  • May I challenge the CNA exam?
    • Only those who have completed 120 hours of class time are eligible to take the CNA exam.
  • What if I was unable to take the CNA exam within the allowed time frame from course completion to testing (one year)?
    • You must send a letter to the Long Term Care supervisor requesting the test needed to take and the reasons why you were not able to test in the required time frame. This letter must include the date when the Nurse Aide program course was completed.
  • How many times may I retest for the written or skills tests?
    • You may retest up to three times for each test.
  • How long does it take to receive the CNA Certification in the mail?
    • It takes the standard 7-10 business days.
  • May my employer fill out the bottom of the reciprocity form?
    • No, the employer may not fill out the bottom of the reciprocity form.  That portion of the form must be completed by the state's agency responsible for the CNA Registry in that state.
  • How do I get the reciprocity form to the Idaho CNA Registry?
    • Mail or fax the form; that information is found on the Instructions sheet.
  • I need to renew my CNA certificate, what do I need to do?
    • To renew for another two-year period, fill out the Renewal Form, found on our website at the upper right.  Your employer needs to sign the form authenticating your work history as a paid CNA or nursing/nursing related services (a minimum of eight hours).  Employment dates need to be within the two years prior to the CNA certificate lapsing.
  • If my previous employer is unable to sign my Renewal Form in order to renew my CNA for another two years, what should I do?
    • You may submit a copy of a valid W-2 form, or pay stub with your employers information.
  • If I cannot provide proof that I worked for 8 hours, or more, as a paid CNA within the two years preceding my certification expiring, what can I do to renew my CNA certificate?
    • This would require completion of both the written and skills tests again.  Contact our office in order for us to provide an approval to test letter.
  • Where can I get study materials prior to retesting?
    • Contact the college of your choice, one offering a nurse aide program, to request copies of the study material.

We have a very high volume of requests ever day at the registry.  Emailing allows us to answer questions in a very timely manner.

Email us at IDNAP@dhw.idaho.gov

Fax: 208-334-6629