Accurate blood pressure (BP) measurement is essential for the diagnosis and management of hypertension. The BP Toolkit provides evidence-based instructions and valuable education on blood pressure measurement for clinical providers at all levels. This project is a result of a collaboration between the Idaho Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Stroke Prevention Program and provider champion Dr. Matthew Nelson, a practicing Idaho cardiologist.
The BP Toolkit is designed for any healthcare professional who measures blood pressure. The BP Toolkit is divided into sequential steps that are meant to be followed in order.
- Accurate Blood Pressure Measurement for Health Professionals Video
- Blood Pressure Sights and Sounds Module
- Supplemental Provider Materials Resource
- Online Post-Test and a Certificate of Completion
- Distinguish between normal blood pressure, prehypertension, and hypertension.
- Understand current recommendations for follow-up based on initial blood pressure readings.
- List the lifestyle modifications that can help to prevent and/or reduce high blood pressure.
- Understand and describe the proper use and maintenance of blood pressure equipment.
- Understand the current issues regarding the use of mercury sphygmomanometers and how to respond to mercury spills.
- Define and describe the phases of Korotkoff and their use in blood pressure measurement.
- Define Auscultatory Gap and Maximum Inflation Level (MIL).
- Determine systolic and diastolic criteria for measuring blood pressure.
- Perform correct blood pressure measurement techniques according to current evidence-based guidelines established by leading authorities in the field of hypertension detection and evaluation.
Step 1: Watch the Video
Take the self-guided Blood Pressure Sights and Sounds module to practice BP measurement with an aneroid manometer and mercury instrument.
Review the Supplemental Provider Materials document.
This document includes additional information that may be helpful for healthcare professionals who measure blood pressure or treat hypertension.
Take the online post-test to test your knowledge and receive a Certificate of Completion.
A certificate of completion is generated if you receive 70% or greater on the test.