Skilled Nursing Provider Resources

There are many resources available for nursing home facility providers to ensure quality care is possible.  Review the information below to become familiar with important considerations as you open and operate your nursing home facility.

CNA Training

The Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program (NATCEP) in the state of Idaho follows the requirements as stated in federal regulations, 42 CFR Chapter IV Subchapter G Subpart D, based on sections 1819(b)(5), 1819(f)(2), 1919(b)(5), and 1919(f)(2) of the Act, which establish standards for training nurse aides and for evaluating their competency.

In Idaho, skilled nursing facilities may choose to apply to have a training program.  The information provided below will help guide a facility through the requirements and processes to apply for and maintain an approved program.

If you have any questions, please contact (208)334-6626 or email:

Resources for New Training Programs
NATCEP Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for a CNA training program?

Any skilled nursing facility or entity may apply as long as they are not under any restrictions or bans from CMS.

Who can we train?

Employees of the facility and/or the corporation may be trained at a facility program.  Facilities cannot train individuals from the community.

Who can be a primary instructor for the training?

Per the regulations it must be an RN with at least 2 years of experience, 1 year of which was in a long term care facility.  We will review candidates and discuss with you regarding potential instructors if there is concern they do not meet these requirements.

The primary instructor cannot be the director of nursing for the facility.

What if we get a ban from training?

If the facility receives notice of a NATCEP ban they may finish a class that is currently running but cannot begin any new classes until the ban is lifted in 2 years. Facilities may request a waiver in writing to the State Agency.

What if we go through a change of ownership or a CHOW?

If your facility has been approved for a training program and then has a CHOW, the approval will not transfer with new ownership.  The facility will need to reapply.


Useful Links for Resources
State informational letters
CMPRP Reinvestment Program

Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Funds

A CMP is a monetary penalty the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) may impose against nursing homes for either the number of days or for each instance a nursing home is not in substantial compliance with one or more Medicare and Medicaid participation requirements for long-term care facilities. A portion of CMPs collected from nursing homes are returned to the states in which CMPs are imposed. State CMP funds may be reinvested to support activities that benefit nursing home residents and that protect or improve their quality of care or quality of life.

What CMP Funds Can Be Used For

CMP funds may be used for (but not limited to) the following:

  • Assistance to support and protect residents of a facility that closes or is decertified

  • Time-limited expenses incurred in the process of relocating residents to home and community-based settings or another facility when a facility is closed or downsized pursuant to an agreement with the state Medicaid agency

  • Projects that support resident and family councils and other consumer involvement in assuring quality care in facilities

  • Facility improvement initiatives, such as joint training of facility staff and surveyors, or technical assistance for facilities implementing quality assurance and performance improvement programs.

Idaho Facilities who want to apply for CMPRP funds must use the forms found at the CMS website. The CMPRP website includes many downloads, including the application and examples of applications, as well as FAQs and Allowable and Non-Allowable Uses of these funds. Please note CMS revised the process and structure for the program on September 9, 2023, which was outlined in QSO-23-23-NH.


CMS - Civil Money Penalty Reinvestment Program (CMPRP)