Education and Training Voucher (ETV)

Helping youth receive the educational services necessary to obtain employment. 


The Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program allows Idaho to help youth and young adults make a smoother transition to self-sufficiency and independence by providing funding for education, training, and services not covered by another funding source.

  • Independent-living-eligible youth and adults who aged out of foster care, or achieved permanency (through reunification, adoption or legal guardianship) on or after their 16th birthday, are eligible for ETV.
  • Funding can be used to attend colleges, universities, or vocational education programs, and other institutions of higher education.
  • ETV helps with fees and tuition, housing, room and board, books and supplies, personal items, child care, transportation needs, computer and other required equipment, at an eligible institution of higher education that does not exceed the lesser of $5,000 per year or the total cost of attendance (minus additional available funding). 

To be considered eligible for funding, please submit the application and all supporting documents to

To find out if you are eligible and what the program has to offer you, contact your caseworker, the independent living coordinator in your region, or

Group of people in a raft on a river
Choose your own adventure!
Eligibility for Independent Living eligible youth and adults
  • Between 16 and 26 who have a high school diploma/equivalent 
  • Are attending a public or non-profit program that provides a bachelor’s degree or at least a two-year program that provides credit toward a degree or certification, or
  • Are attending an accredited or pre-accredited program at a public or non-profit private institution that provides at least one year of training toward gainful employment.

Independent-living-eligible youth and adults may remain eligible for ETV until age 26 or five cumulative years, whichever happens first. 


To be considered for the Education and Training Voucher program, you must first apply for federal student aid at the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website, You will most likely be eligible for a Pell grant (which does not need to be repaid) and the amount of that grant must be included in the ETV application along with any loans (accepted or denied).

To complete your application, you will need the following:

  • Verification letter or email from your caseworker of your eligibility to participate in the program (if you are from outside Idaho or from a Tribe)
  • A copy of your high school diploma or GED
  • A copy of your independent living plan developed with your caseworker after completing the Casey Life Skills Assessment, The independent living plan records your goals toward self-sufficiency, including educational and vocational goals, and sets a target date for completion. 
  • A copy of your financial aid award letter (including Pell grant and loans if eligible) as well as letter or other proof of acceptance to the institution or higher education or vocational training program
  • A letter of recommendation from your caseworker, foster parent, adoptive parent, mentor, or employer. The letter should focus on personal and academic performance. 

Fill out the application and email the application and additional information listed above to

ETV application and submission

Select the links below for Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Eligibility Requirements and Additional Information. You will need to download the documents to complete them.