Quitting tobacco, nicotine, and vaping is a process. Whether you are thinking about quitting, are not yet ready to quit, or have already quit, Project Filter can help you each step of the way.
Quitting smoking and other tobacco products can prevent disease and disability including cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and rheumatoid arthritis. Within minutes of quitting the body will begin to heal itself and you will gain many health benefits.
What are the negative health effects of nicotine?
- Nicotine is addictive.
- Nicotine is harmful to developing fetuses.
- Nicotine can harm adolescent brain development, which continues into the early to mid-20s.
What's inside an e-cigarette?
- Chemicals that are added to e-liquids and others that are produced during the heating/vaporizing process
- Vapor aerosols that contain nicotine
- Ultrafine particles
- Flavorings such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease
- Volatile organic compounds such as benzene, which is found in car exhaust
- Heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead
Project Filter is Idaho's tobacco prevention and cessation program. We offer free resources and support to help people quit smoking, vaping and chewing. Project Filter offers free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) in the form of nicotine patches, gum and lozenges, to help people on their journey to quit commercial tobacco. We work closely with local public health districts (internal link to PHD site) all over the state to ensure free tobacco cessation resources and classes are available to people across Idaho.
- Get up to 8 weeks of FREE nicotine patches, gum, or lozenges for eligible participants.
- Get personalized support from a trained quit coach any time, day or night. (Available in Spanish and 150 other languages).
- Sign up for eCoach and get personalized text or e-mail messages to help with your quit attempt
- Sign up to get FREE nicotine patches, gum, or lozenges.
- Join an online community with resources on how to quit and stay tobacco-free. Get tips on how to help others quit smoking, chewing, or vaping.
- My Life My Quit - Quit vaping, smoking, or chewing for youth up to ages 18 through phone, chat, or text at mylifemyquit.com.
- Pregnancy Program - Receive up to $65 for participation in an expanded 10-call program
- American Indian Program - Speak with Native American coaches with sacred tobacco knowledge
- Chronic Disease Program - Learn how quitting can help manage chronic conditions, like disease, diabetes and high blood pressure
- Behavioral Health Program - Receive compassionate and intensive support for those experiencing depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ADHD, PTSD, and/or substance use disorder.