Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

Child Care Assistance

The Idaho Child Care Program (ICCP) helps parents and caretakers pay for a part of their child care. Eligible families receive a portion of child care costs paid to the provider.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare also administers all licensing for caregivers and daycare providers throughout the state of Idaho.


ICCP is available for eligible parents who work, attend school, or participate in approved activities to help ensure children receive safe, quality care. In order to receive assistance paying for child care, certain eligibility requirements must be met in areas such as residency, income, work/training activities, and other areas based on your household's circumstances.


The amount of child care assistance you get is based on a number of things, including: your income, and the number of hours you spend working, in school, or participating in approved activities. The amount of assistance also varies by location in the State, and the type of provider your prefer for your children. 

A portion of the cost of child care can be covered by the Idaho Child Care Program. Most parents will have to pay a copay, and any child care amounts exceeding the program limit. 

Payments will be made the first week of the month following the month the care was provided. For example, the payment for April child care services will be made in the first week of May.


ICCP will not pay for:

  • Late Charges
    • ICCP will not pay fees charged to families who do not pick up their children on time, or to families who do not pay their provider on time.
  • Termination Notices
    • ICCP will not pay fees charged to families when they decide not to continue to use a provider and do not notify the provider in advance.

If your care provider or you don't report changes:

If more money is paid to a provider than a family is eligible to receive because the parents did not report a change, the parents must repay the Department of Health and Welfare. To avoid overpayments, make sure to report changes as soon as you are aware of them, and no later than 10 days after the change has occured.

If providers receive more money than they are entitled to because they failed to report a change, they must return it to the Department of Health and Welfare. 

The following situations may cause provider overpayments:

  • Failing to report a change in costs of care
  • Not providing care for the child
  • Misrepresenting charges


If you cannot find the information you're looking for, or you need information or forms in a different format than provided on our web site, please do not hesitate to contact us.