Medicaid participants enroll in the Healthy Connections Primary Care Program to achieve the best health outcomes.
Healthy Connections is the Idaho Medicaid program that is mandatory for most Idaho Medicaid participants. Participants will choose a primary care provider (PCP) who will coordinate their healthcare needs.
Important program information
DHW continues to prepare for impacts from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). To make sure Medicaid participants receive services and get their needs met, all Healthy Connection referral requirements are suspended until further notice (effective March 18, 2020). It is recommended to refer back to this website to check for any updates to this information.
- Make sure you establish care timely with your PCP to discuss preventative and other healthcare needs.
- Tell your PCP about any medical services you need or have received, such as emergency room visits or behavioral health services.
- Make sure you go to your annual wellness visits and recommended screenings.
Please refer to the Idaho Health Plan Booklet for more information on Healthy Connections.
Contact Healthy Connections for questions at 1-888-528-5861.
The first time you are eligible for Idaho Medicaid, you will receive an ID card in the mail. If you are eligible and have not received your card within 14 days of receiving your letter, please call 1-877-456-1233.
- Keep your card with you when you visit your doctor, dentist, or pharmacy. You might have to show picture ID in addition to your Medicaid card.
- Always ask before you get medical services if the provider will accept your ID card as payment. Ask even when your doctor refers you to a specialist. Not all doctors accept Idaho Medicaid.
- Your card may not work at providers’ offices if you are going by a different name than what appears on your identification card. Report name changes.
- Your ID card is permanent. Do not throw it away. If you lose benefit and then get benefits again, you will use the same card.
- If you lose your card, call the DHW at 1-877-456-1233 or call the DXC participant line at 1-866-686-4752.
When receiving Medicaid, you are required to re-evaluate periodically. When your household is due for recertification, the department will notify you and provide you with the necessary forms required to complete the process.
If eligibility requirements are still met at the time of your re-evaluation, you will continue to receive Medicaid coverage.
When you apply for benefits you agree to provide truthful, accurate, and up-to-date information.
Report any of the following changes as soon as possible, within 10 days of the change occuring:
- You have a new name, address, or other contact information.
- Someone moves in or out of your household (even if they aren’t related to you).
- You marry, divorce, become pregnant, or have a child (including adoptions).
- Your income goes up or down (including child support, unemployment, job wages, etc.).
- Your resources go up or down.
- You get or lose other health insurance (including Medicare coverage).
To report a change:
Call the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare’s Benefits Customer Service center line: 1-877-456-1233.