Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

Developmental Disabilities (DD)

The Department of Health and Welfare can help provide a number of services to assist adults and children with developmental disabilities. Some of these services include: physical and occupational therapy, housing and living supports, chore services, employment support, environmental modifications, home delivered meals, nursing services, respite care, habilitative supports, family education, crisis intervention, and in-school supports, to name a few.

Developmental Disabilities means a chronic disability of a person which appears before 22 years of age and:

  • Is attributable to an impairment, such as an intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism or other condition found to be closely related to or similar to one of these impairments that requires similar treatment or services, or is attributable to dyslexia resulting from such impairments.

  • Results in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following areas of major life activity; self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, mobility, self-direction, capacity for independent living, or economic self-sufficiency.

  • Reflects the needs for a combination and sequence of special, interdisciplinary or generic care, treatment or other services which are of life-long or extended duration and individually planned and coordinated. 

 Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. Experts believe symptoms of COVID-19 can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath, and may appear 2-14 days after exposure.


What you can do

The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus. Take steps to protect yourself: clean your hands oftens, avoid close contact, and take care of your emotional health.


Who is most at risk?

Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at a higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19.


Stay Informed

If you have questions, please contact 211 or your local public health district.