Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans
Español    About Us    Contact Us    Careers   
December 13, 2018


TANF State Plan

The State of Idaho will accept public comment on its Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) State Plan for FFY2020-2022. 

The deadline for public comment is Friday, December 14th, 2018.

The draft plan is available for review the State Plan on our website under the link for TANF Draft State Plan 2020-2022.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families is a block grant that is used to provide cash assistance, services and work programs for
needy families, utilizing federal TANF funds along with state funds to develop and deliver services to needy families.


Anyone wishing to offer comments in person, may attend our Public Hearing on 

Monday November 26th, 2018
on the 2nd Floor of the Pete T. Cenarrusa Building
Department of Health and Welfare

The address is 450 W. State St., Boise, ID 83720.
Please, check-in at the security 
station on your way into the building.


Comments may be mailed to:

Idaho Department of Health & Welfare
TANF Program, 2nd floor
Attn : Allison Demarest
P O Box 83720
Boise, ID 


Comments may be delivered to:

Idaho Department of Health & Welfare
TANF Program, 2nd floor
450 W. State St.
Boise, ID 

Comments may be emailed to

About Temporary Assistance for Families in Idaho

The TAFI Program provides temporary cash assistance and work preparation services for families with kids. The program provides cash benefits for eligible low-income families and households to help pay for food, clothing, shelter, and other essentials.

To get started applying for cash assistance see our Apply for Assistance page. Submit completed applications to your local Health and Welfare office. You may use the office-finder to assist you in finding your local office. You may also go directly to your local office and apply there. At the office you'll have an opportunity to talk with someone about your household situation and your needs so that you can make an informed choice about any services you want to receive. If you choose to go to your local office, be sure to go prepared with documentation that we use to verify your income, expenses, resources, etc. Taking these documents with you will speed up the time it takes us to process your application for assistance.

In order to receive cash assistance, certain eligibility requirements must be met in areas such as income, resources, child support cooperation, and work preparation requirements. You may use the following eligibility guidelines to get an idea if you might be eligible. A quick conversation with our staff will help you find out for certain whether you may be eligible to receive cash assistance.

The TAFI Program pays up to a maximum of $309 per month for eligible families - up to the lifetime limit of 24 months. Actual benefit amounts are based on the family's unique household circumstances, such as income and resources.


IDAHO CODE CHAPTER 2, TITLE 56, SECTION 56-227F prohibits the use of TAFI Cash Benefits for pari-mutuel betting, tribal gaming, purchase of lottery tickets, purchase of cigarettes and other tobacco products, payment for adult entertainment, purchase of alcoholic beverages,  purchases or participation in activities in any establishment that provides goods, services or activities that are prohibited above, or where people under the age of 18 are not permitted. 

Businesses offering prohibited services and activities must comply by prohibiting the use of public assistance benefit cards in their establishment.

If you cannot find the information you're looking for, or you need information or forms in a different format than provided on our website, please don't hesitate to contact your local Health and Welfare office.