Manage Medicaid for my Child with a Disability

Medicaid participants enroll in the Healthy Connections Primary Care Program to achieve the best health outcomes. 

Partnering with a Primary Care Provider

Healthy Connections is the Idaho Medicaid program that is mandatory for most Idaho Medicaid participants. Participants will choose a Primary Care Provider (PCP) who will coordinate their healthcare needs.

Important Program Information

Healthy Connections referrals were suspended March 20, 2020 through June 30, 2021.  Beginning July 1, 2021 Healthy Connections referrals will again be required.

Refer to the Idaho Health Plan Booklet for more information on Healthy Connections.  If you need additional information you can contact Healthy Connections at 888-528-5861 or by email at

Proof of Health Coverage - 1095-B Form

Beginning in 2024, DHW will no longer mail out completed 1095-B forms to households unless requested. Form 1095-B is a tax form that reports the type of health coverage you have.  Read more about the 1095-B form from

DHW is still required to relay proof of your health coverage to the IRS. If you would like a completed copy of this form for your records, please call DHW at 877-456-1233.

Medicaid identification card

The first time you are eligible for Idaho Medicaid, you will receive an identification card in the mail. If you are eligible and have not received your card within 14 days of receiving your letter, please call 877-456-1233.

Remember to:

  • Keep your card on hand when you visit your doctor, dentist, or pharmacy. You might have to show picture identification in addition to your Medicaid card.
  • Always ask before you get medical services if the provider will accept your identification card as payment. Ask even when your doctor refers you to a specialist. Not all doctors accept Idaho Medicaid.
  • Your card may not work at providers’ offices if you are going by a different name than what appears on your identification card. Report name changes
  • Your identification card is permanent. Do not throw it away, ever if you lose benefit and then get benefits again, you will use the same card.
  • If you lose your card, call the Department of Health and Welfare at 877-456-1233 or call the Gainwell participant line at 866-686-4752.
Required Re-Evaluations

When receiving Medicaid benefits, you are required to re-evaluate periodically. When your household is due for recertification, the Department will notify you and provide you with the necessary forms required to complete the process.

Reporting Requirements

When you apply for benefits you agree to provide truthful, accurate, and up-to-date information.

Report any of the following changes as soon as possible, within 10 days of the change occuring:

  • You have a new name, address, or other contact information.
  • Someone moves in or out of your household (even if they aren’t related to you)
  • You marry, divorce, become pregnant, or have a child (including adoptions).
  • Your income goes up or down (including child support, unemployment, job wages, etc.)
  • Your resources go up or down
  • You get or lose other health insurance (including Medicare coverage)
To report a change:

Call Idaho Department of Health and Welfare’s Benefits Customer Service center line: 877-456-1233