Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

How to File a Healthcare Complaint

The opportunity to lodge a complaint provides the public with a mechanism to notify the Division of Licensing and Certification (i.e., State Survey Agency) of a health care provider's failure to provide appropriate care within the framework by state or federal regulation.  We encourage those concerned to address issues with the provider or management staff, such as the administrator, nursing service director, or social service coordinator, prior to registering a formal complaint.

A complaint investigation serves a very important purpose; it identifies noncompliance and leads to correction and improved care for residents. In some instances, it clears the facility/provider of unsubstantiated allegations.

Listed below are specific health care provider types for whom the Department has authority and responsibility to investigate complaints. For each type is a link to a process or contact information for filing a complaint.  

  • Assisted Living Facility - Call 208.364.1962 or email 
  • Certified Family Home - Call Regional contact or email

  • Developmental Disability Agency or Residential Habilitation Agency  - Call 208.364.1906 or email

  • Children's Residential Care Facility or Outdoor/Wilderness Program - Call 208.364.1900