Promoting and protecting the health and safety of all Idahoans

Idaho Home Choice - Provider Information

What is the Idaho Home Choice Program?

Idaho Home Choice (IHC) is a system of flexible financing for long-term services and supports that enables funds to move with the individual to the most suitable and preferred setting as the individual’s needs and preferences change. The program is funded by the federal Money Follows the Person Demonstration program grant.

Who is eligible for the IHC Program?

Eligible persons must:

  • Be a resident of Idaho
  • Currently live in a nursing facility, ICF/ID, or an institution for mental disease
  • Have lived in the above settings for at least 90 consecutive days, excluding short term rehabilitation stays
  • Have been eligible for Medicaid for at least one day
  • Qualify for one of the HCBS waivers (Aged and Disabled Waiver or Developmental Disability Waiver), or qualify for Medicaid state plan services
  • Move to a "qualified residence" in the community.

What is considered a qualified residence?

A “qualified residence” is:

  • A person’s own home
  • A person’s family’s home
  • A person’s own apartment
  • A residence, in a community-based residential setting, in which no more than four unrelated individuals reside - excluding caregivers and personal attendants. A Certified Family Home is one example.

What benefits are available?

  • Community-Based Funding for Supports - MFP participants receive personal supports and other services through Idaho Home Choice.
  • Transition “Start Up” Funding - Each participant may be eligible for up to $2,000 in order to secure items and services needed to transition.  These include: security deposits, utility start up expenses, furniture, or other one-time items and services that may be required to transition.
  • More Options in Long-Term Support - Participation in this Project is completely voluntary.  The Project simply provides eligible residents of inpatient facilities an option to receive supports and services in their communities.

What Benefits are available?

HCBS - Participant will receive HCBS through the Idaho Medicaid Developmentally Disabled Waiver, Aged and Disabled Waiver, or Medicaid State Plan Services.

Transition Manager - The transition manager is usually involved during the pre-transition planning, the actual transition, and for a period following the transition. The transition manager provides information about community services, programs, and housing to individuals living in institutions who are interested in moving. The transition manager assesses what services and supports will be needed to help the person move and live successfully in the community. Transition managers will work with housing agencies to locate housing if necessary, and coordinate or arrange services as needed. Transition managers make regular visits and phone calls to participants to ensure that all necessary services are being provided. Over time, the contact will shift to the service provider agency affiliated with the home and community based services received. A back up plan will be prepared for each participant in the event that a scheduled service is not provided as planned. The transition manager and the participant will have contact on a regular basis. As the person’s service needs change, the transition manager will work with the person to adjust their plan to assure all of the individual’s needs are met. Services arranged by the transition manager will include housekeeping, laundry, periodic heavy cleaning, assistance with meal planning and preparation, and other assistance needed to maintain the unit.

Transition Services - Transition services are one-time set-up expenses for individuals who are transitioning from a qualified institutional setting to a home and community based setting. Such expenses include, but are not limited to: security deposits (for apartment, utility, phone, water, electricity, and gas), appliances, essential furnishings, one time cleaning prior to occupancy, one time kitchen set-up, one time grocery purchase ($75 limit), health and safety assurances. Transition services are furnished only to the extent that the person is unable to meet such expense or when the support cannot be obtained from other sources. Transition services do not include monthly rental or mortgage expenses; regular utility charges; and/or household appliance or diversion/recreational items such as televisions, VCR’s and DVD’s. The monetary limit for transition services is $2,000 per participant.

How Do I Refer Someone?

Currently, anyone can submit a referral to the Program. The completed referral form and the informed consent form may be mailed, emailed, or faxed. Forms are available on the Idaho Home Choice Website at  Submittal information is found on the bottom of the forms.  If you have other questions about making a referral, please contact Tammy Ray at (208)364-1889 or